Swedish Language

Occupational Therapy

Swedish Language and culture course for medical staff with focus on medicine word and patient contact. Special Package for Foreign Medical Staff:

  • Education Assessment of medical Degree
  • Language Course in Sweden
  • Student residence permits

In Sweden there are 21 regulated health care professions that require a license to practice (see below for the list). This information applies if you were trained in another country than the EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

The process of obtaining a license to practice consists of several steps (between 5-7 steps depending on if you are a doctor or a nurse). The first two steps in this process are common for all medical staff (doctors, nurses and so on). These two common steps are:

  • Apply for an assessment of your foreign education/training
  • Show certified knowledge of the Swedish language

The package includes:

  • Application for assessment of your foreign medical education
  • Admission to 9 months intensive Swedish language & culture course in Sweden
  • Application for student residence permit

When we apply for a license to practice for you, the Swedish authorities will assess whether your completed foreign training corresponds to the Swedish training for the profession. If it is found to be equivalent you will have to go through supplementary steps to receive your Swedish license to practice. Next step is to start learning the language in order to pass the supplementary program in Swedish. If not they will ask you to complete with further documents.


  • English language Level B1
  • Swedish language Level A1
  • All required document according to Swedish Health organization. (Appendix I)

The professions:

  • Audiologist
  • Biomedical scientist
  • Chiropractor
  • Dental hygienist
  • Dental practitioner
  • Dietitian
  • Doctor of medicine
  • Medical physicist
  • Midwife
  • Naprapath
  • Nurse responsible for general care
  • Occupational therapist
  • Optician
  • Orthopedic engineer
  • Pharmacist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Preservationist
  • Psychologist
  • Psychotherapist
  • Radiographer
  • Speech Therapist

Please Note:

  • The license to practice is not the same as work permit. Both work permit and license to practice are required in order to be able to work in Sweden.
  • You may apply for a work permit later when you have obtained your license to practice and have found a job.
  • Application for work permit cost of living in Sweden or other costs are not included in this package.